As I’m featured on the Two Writing Teachers on today’s “Call for Slices” for Day 7 (*little boy scream*), I figured today is as good as any to the introduction that SHOULD have happened on Day 1.
- Currently a teacher of middle schoolers. I’ve taught kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th – 12th grade.
- A coach of 8th grade girls basketball. I’ve coached high school and middle school, all girls.
- A creator of relationships. This shows in the above two. I can work with just about anyone. There are those times where my passive aggressive behaviors kick in, but I’m about as easy going a guy as you can find.
- A father of daughters, which might explain the above. My gray hair started about the time teenaged years hit. Yippee! *eye roll*
- A husband to a gorgeous woman who looks 15 years younger than her age. I get the looks like “why are you with her?” She never notices, which I find amusing! 🙂
- A wannabe farmer. My other blog site (that I don’t post at so quit following it) is “An Accidental Farmer” because that what I feel like. We currently have chickens, dogs, and cats, but this summer, the Brown Swiss will return, probably for the last time. I have a large garden, so large that this summer we may start trying to sell via a roadside stand.
- A frustrated educator. I shared this post on Facebook about all the things I didn’t sign up for when I completed my education degree. Our Republican majority has attacked us, like many educators, and the reasons behind their actions make my stomach churn. Being connected has been a huge positive, but also a huge negative because I know where to look to find things out.
- A connected educator. Not as much as in the past, but I feel as though if I’d need a resource, I know people, which is kind of cool. Twitter is my go to (@AnIowaTeacher), but I’m also I enjoy teachers on Instagram and Facebook as well! So many teachers willing to share both their resources and time to help others in the profession continue to grow into their true selves!
- An introvert. We had a TINA meeting last Thursday, and I was quite content to just take in all in. I love sitting back and just watch people laugh, the facial expressions they make, the eye contact, and body language. I had to leave early from that “meeting” so I could go with my wife to her classroom, but it was good to see our staff the way I remember them, being more than co-worker, being friends.
- A marginal writer. I know there are a couple of people who will get on my case about this (you know who you are!), but I’ve never felt I’m a “good” writer. That’s always been my wife. But, I’m consistent. Finding this community has pushed me to do better, both with the frequency of my writing (here I am) and the quality of my writing. I’m no author, but it makes me happy to see message well received, so there you go! 🙂
- And finally, I’m a positive person. No, it’s not easy, but every day I wake up and think of those things I’m grateful for in my life. I think about those gifts I have, living in Iowa, a flyover state! I think about how lucky I am to have found this little slice of heaven, 2.75 acres of land, clean water, and the ability to pay my mortgage every month (less than 5 years until the mortgage burning party).
All in all, I’ve been fortunate to find the friends I have, to have a job that truly enjoy, and to have found a community that is focused on creating not only good writers, but good people!
Thank you! 🙂